The AMR offers an opportunity for alums to connect with editors, agents, and/or publicists – in short, influential individuals who ultimately define a writer’s career. In addition, alums can participate in workshops led by VCFA faculty members, enjoy lectures, participate in alumni readings, panel discussions, a master class led by one of the industry’s finest writers, and more.
The 10th annual Alumni Mini Residency, a four-day conference for WCYA alumni focusing on both the craft and publication, will take place from June 15-18, 2017.
Master Classes and Faculty
The AMR 2017 Master Class instructor is author/educator René Saldaña, Ph.D.
VCFA Faculty members will include:
- Alan Cumyn - Lecturer & Workshop Facilitator
- Louise Hawes - Lecturer & Workshop Facilitator
- Julie Larios - Lecturer & Workshop Facilitator
Participants will have the opportunity to participate in workshops with Alan, Louise, and Julie for an additional fee.
Alumni can choose to do 10-minute, one-on-one consultations with editors or agents, or a 30-minute session with marketing consultants. This exciting new format gives more personalized attention and a wider range of options no matter where a writer is in their writing career.
This year's consultants include:
- Carmen Oliver: The Booking Biz
- Agent Erin Murphy: Erin Murphy Literary Agent
- Agent Linda Camacho: Prospect Agency
- Editor Jill Santopolo: Editorial Director of Philomel Books, an imprint of Penguin Young Readers Group
- Joanna Cárdenas: Editor at Viking Children's Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House
- Agent Miriam Altshuler: DeFiore and Company
A Master Class, workshops, faculty lectures, alumni and faculty readings, panel discussions, one-on-one critique sessions, pitch sessions, a Friday night gala, Saturday evening auction, and plenty of casual, relaxed time to reconnect with fellow alumni.
Registration and Housing
See link at right.
Please note: Children and pets are not permitted to stay in the dorms. Thanks for your understanding.
Deb Gonzales, '08 WCYA
Email: Deb Gonzales
Director of Alumni Relations
Plan on participating in our much-anticipated auction to be held on Friday evening during the Alumni Mini-Residency. Even if you can't attend, you can still take place online! Bid on one-of-a-kind items, including manuscript critiques, swag bags, and much more. All winning bids will help support scholarships for WYCA students, recruiting efforts, programming, and a new online alumni portal.
Mini Residency Dates
- June 15-18, 2017
- Registration opens on January 30, 2017