The AMR offers an opportunity for alums to connect with editors, agents, and/or publicists – in short, influential individuals who ultimately define a writer’s career. In addition, alums can participate in workshops led by VCFA faculty members, enjoy lectures, participate in alumni readings, panel discussions, a master class led by one of the industry’s finest writers, and more.
The 9th annual Alumni Mini Residency, a three-day conference for WCYA alumni focusing on both the craft and publication, will take place from June 17-19, 2016.
Master Classes and Faculty
The AMR 2016 Master Class instructor is the award-winning author, Francisco X. Stork.
VCFA Faculty members will include:
- Leda Schubert - Lecturer & Workshop Facilitator
- Kekla Magoon - Lecturer & Workshop Facilitator
- Amanda Jenkins - Lecturer & Workshop Facilitator
Participants will have the opportunity to participate in workshops with Leda, Kekla, and Amanda for an additional fee of $30 per person. (Register for these sessions quickly. Spaces are limited.)
Alumni can choose to do 10-minute, one-on-one consultations with editors or agents, or a 30-minute session with book publicists. This exciting new format gives more personalized attention and a wider range of options no matter where a writer is in their writing career.
This year's consultants include:
- Steve Palmquist & Vicki Palmquist: Winding Oak Marketing & Design Firm
- Agent Sarah Davies: The Greenhouse Literary Agency
- Agent Karen Grenick: Red Fox Literary Agency
- Editor Katherine Jacobs: Senior Editor at Roaring Brook Press, an imprint of Macmillan Publishers
- Cheryl Klein: Executive Editor at Arthur A. Levine Books, an imprint of Scholastic Inc.
A Master Class, workshops, faculty lectures, alumni and faculty readings, panel discussions, one-on-one critique sessions, pitch sessions, a Friday night gala, Saturday evening auction, and plenty of casual, relaxed time to reconnect with fellow alumni. The AMR 2016 schedule will be announced on January 15.
- Early-bird Registration (opens Feb 15 Closes May 2): $450.00
- Full Registration Fee (goes in effect after May 2) - $500.00
- One-to-one critiques with editor or agent: $50.00
- Consultation with publicist: $50.00
- Workshop with faculty: $30.00
Dorm Housing (only available for Thursday, June 16 to Sunday, June 19. Monday morning check out time is 10:00): $225
Please note: Children and pets are not permitted to stay in the dorms. Thanks for your understanding.
Deb Gonzales, '08 WCYA
Email: Deb Gonzales
Director of Alumni Relations
Plan on participating in our much-anticipated auction to be held on Saturday evening during the Alumni Mini-Residency. Even if you can't attend, you can still take place online! Bid on one-of-a-kind items, including manuscript critiques, swag bags, and much more. All winning bids will help support scholarships for WYCA students, recruiting efforts, programming, and a new online alumni portal.
Mini Residency Dates
- June 17-19, 2016
- Registration opens on February 15, 2016