Participants in this individualized program will develop a substantial research project and/or body of design work. The 12-credit semester begins with an on-campus residency and culminates in a public presentation and critical discussion of the work at a second residency.
Postgraduate residencies coincide with MFA in Graphic Design residencies, so participants can join the exciting dialogues with faculty, visiting lecturers, guests, and MFA candidates.
Applicants must hold a master’s degree in Graphic Design or a related field and should submit the following:
- Project Description – Because the postgraduate semester is project oriented, applicants must provide a basic description of their proposed project (maximum 500 words). Be as specific as possible, identifying a basic thesis, some conceptual ideas, influences, objectives, and materials you envision for the project. Briefly describe how this project relates to and/or differs from the work you produced during graduate studies.
- Personal Bio – In 500 words or less, describe your current work in design since earning your graduate degree. Discuss the development of your studio practice, your intellectual development, and the social, historical, and/or cultural context of your practice. Explain how the postgraduate semester will enhance, encourage, and support your development as a designer/scholar working in expanded practice. Be sure to address why you are applying for a postgraduate semester now, explaining why this time is appropriate for you personally as well as for the development of your practice.
- Official degree transcripts and two letters of recommendation (waived for alumnx of VCFA MFA in Graphic Design program)
- If proposing a visual project, please provide documentation of 10 recent images that you feel support your project proposal. Please also provide the following information: an image list, headed with your name, and including in chronological order each image with its dimensions, medium, title, and date of creation. For time-based media work, include total running time and length of excerpt (not to exceed 10 minutes).
- If proposing a research-based project, please provide a writing sample (maximum 1000 words).
Please direct all application materials to Associate Director of Admissions Sarah Madru at [email protected].
Tuition & Fees
$7,803 + residency fees
Associate Director of Admissions