VCFA’s Registrar serves as the international student coordinator.

VCFA must issue an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility to each international student in advance of every on-campus residency. In addition, all international students other than Canadian citizens (or those that qualify for certain other exceptions) must obtain an F-1 Student Visa.

I-20 Certificate of Eligibility

The registrar will contact all newly accepted international students in advance of the first on-campus residency. Each international student must first complete a Student Information-Certification Form which includes documentation of financial resources sufficient to cover the cost of the residency period (including prorated tuition, room and board, travel, and personal expenses). There is a required $350 SEVIS fee for the I-20, which must be paid each time an I-20 is issued. Upon receipt of the required documentation, VCFA will issue the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility and mail it, along with a receipt for the fee payment, to the student. Each I-20 is valid only for the duration of the on-campus residency period. The I-20 Certificate of Eligibility does not allow international students in the low-residency programs to reside in the US for the remainder of the semester. International students must leave the US after the residency, and a new I-20 must be issued (and the fee paid) in advance of the following residency period. All international students other than Canadian citizens also must obtain an F-1 Student Visa.

VCFA does not issue I-20 certificates to dependents (spouses or children) of international students.

Student Visas

Canadian citizens do not need to obtain a Student Visa to attend VCFA. Canadian students will need the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility, a receipt for the fee payment, and a valid passport in hand when arriving at the US Port of Entry. All other international students must obtain an F-1 Student Visa prior to entering the US. Students must present the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility and a receipt for the fee payment when applying for a Student Visa (along with other required documentation). Students should allow plenty of time for the Student Visa process. More information about the Student Visa process is available here. Legal Permanent Residents (aka Permanent Resident Aliens) have immigrated legally, been admitted to the US by the Department of Homeland Security as permanent residents of the US, and have a Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551, also known as a green card). Legal Permanent Residents do not need to go through the I-20 process but should provide the registrar’s office with a copy of their Permanent Resident Card for our records.

Important Links

Student Information-Certification Form »
Important Information for Canadian Students »
Important Information for All Other International Students »



Jody Maunsell, Registrar
866-934-8232, ext. 8724
[email protected]