This year, our annual open house is going to be a full-immersion experience. On Friday, September 6, we will hold a film screening and gallery opening right on our campus as part of Montpelier’s September Art Walk. On Saturday we will show you how VCFA graduate programs can fit into your life, with information sessions, presentations by guest speakers, and more. Complimentary accommodations are available in our dormitories for Friday and Saturday nights.
- 5:30 pm – September 2019 exhibition opening reception*
- 8 pm – Outdoor screening of ARMING SISTERS, film by guest speaker and Film alumnx Brad Heck
- 9 am – Welcome meeting and coffee with the Director of Admissions & Financial Aid
- 9:45 am – Individual program information sessions
- 11 am – Presentation by guest speaker Brad Heck** (MFA in Film alumnx)
- 12 pm – Lunch in Dewey Cafeteria
- 12:45 pm – Financial aid information session
- 1:15 pm – Presentation by guest speaker Erin Stalcup*** (MFA in Writing & Publishing faculty)
- 2:30 pm – Individual program breakout sessions
* Exhibition is juried by artist Sheila Pepe. Featuring the artwork of alumnx, current students, faculty, artist-mentors, and staff, the show is curated by Pepe’s focus on “our experience of gender, both as an embodied, subject/self, as well as one acting in, and formed by enculturation.”
** Q&A and discussion of ARMING SISTERS (film shown Friday night) centered on the ethical complexities of telling stories of other communities
*** Ecofabulism is writing that leaves reality in order to comment on ecological catastrophe. In this talk, Stalcup will discuss this newly named (but not new) genre and how imagining a scenario that hasn’t happened can help us think and feel our way through what might, and what will.