Founded by alumni of VCFA’s Writing for Children & Young Adults Program, the VCFA Young Writers Network connects the college’s passionate—and growing—alumni community to the children least likely to meet real authors.
The VCFA Young Writers Mission
We’re helping to raise a diverse next generation of writers by creating a national mentoring network that inspires young writers to:
- Discover their voices.
- Develop their craft.
- Explore future careers in writing.
Excellent Writing Instruction for Underserved Kids
We work with existing nonprofits in communities where VCFA authors live, connecting our talented authors with youth populations that are underserved by existing creative writing resources and underrepresented in children’s literature as a whole.
At each site, our authors offer engaging in-school, after-school, and vacation workshops on all aspects of the writing craft, for ages 6-18. All programs are at no cost to children.
We’re Dreaming Big
Our goal is to use VCFA’s powerful alumni network to create broader, more equitable access to writing instruction for kids—and, over the long term, to foster a more diverse community of authors. (Read more about why children’s book diversity is so crucial.)
Our program is one of many important efforts to diversify children’s literature.
In the coming years, the Young Writers Network will:
- Build partnerships in up to six communities, collaborating with nonprofits that share our mission of providing excellent programming for diverse young writers.
- Provide dozens of workshops to hundreds of children each year.
- Organize group author visits to high-need communities where such opportunities are rare.
- Launch a creative writing camp in Montpelier for diverse teens who are serious about the craft.
- Engage over 1,000 young writers every year with programs that inspire, build skills, and provide a network of support for aspiring writers.
Young Writers Staff & Advisors
Heather Hughes, Bay Area
Danielle Pignataro, New York City
Adi Rule, New Hampshire
Tamara Ellis Smith, Vermont
Alan Cumyn (WCYA Faculty Chair)
Melissa Fisher (WCYA Program Director)
Heidi Kim (WCYA alumna)
Uma Krishnaswami (WCYA faculty)
Kekla Magoon (WCYA faculty & alumna)
LoriGoe Pérez (WCYA alumna)
Join our mailing list for periodic updates on Young Writers Network events and opportunities to get involved.
Your gift will help the VCFA Young Writers Network reach more children this year. (Designate your gift to the "VCFA Young Writers Network.")
To learn more about giving options, contact: Alissa Auerbach, 802.828.8555
Help a Diverse Writer Attend VCFA
There are more ways to support diversity in children’s lit through VCFA! You can help diverse authors attend the nation’s top MFA program in Writing for Children & Young Adults.
Support a VCFA scholarship. (Designate your gift to “WCYA scholarships.”)