Barry Goldblatt established this $5,000 annual scholarship in honor of Angela Johnson, the critically acclaimed African American poet and author of more than 40 books for children and young adults.
Sponsored by Barry Goldblatt Literary, LLC
Angela Johnson has won the Coretta Scott King Award three times, the Michael L. Printz Award, and received a MacArthur Fellowship in 2003. Her work explores the lives of characters of color of all ages, in historical and contemporary settings and celebrates a myriad of experiences growing up in America.
In addition to honoring Ms. Johnson, this scholarship will help to fill the void of multi-cultural voices in the world of children’s and young adult literature by providing scholarship assistance to minority students attending Vermont College of Fine Arts.
One or two scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded annually and will be applied to the student’s tuition costs. The maximum scholarship awarded will not exceed $5,000.
Qualified applicants will meet the following criteria:
- A minority, defined as a person of color or a person of ethnic minority in the VCFA community
- Demonstrates talent, promise, and commitment to a career as a writer in the children and/or young adults field of literature
- Has strong financial need.
Priority will be given to incoming students.
Eligible applicants must submit by email an essay (see below) by April 30th. Applications emailed after April 30th will not be considered. Essays should be emailed to: Melissa Fisher, Program Director, Writing for Children & Young Adults, with the words "Application for Angela Johnson Scholarship" in the subject line.
Essay are not to exceed 350 words and should describe the applicant's:
- Commitment and or passion for the literary field of children's and young adult literature;
- Extenuating or financial challenges.
- A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form must be filed by April 30th.
The recipient of the scholarship is in no way obligated to submit works to, or seek representation by Barry Goldblatt Literary, LLC.