VCFA hosts four different ensembles this February, premiering pieces written by our MFA in Music Composition students that reflect a widely versatile cross-section of approaches to new music. The ensembles are:
- Anna’s Ghost, featuring River Guerguerian, percussion; Russ Johnson, horns; Jim Whitney, bass; John Benthal, guitars; Anna Webber, flute and saxophone.
- Piano Trio featuring Geoffrey Burleson, piano; Mary Rowell, violin; David Russell, cello.
- Saxophone Quartet, featuring Ken Thomson, Ed RosenBerg, Peter Hess, Jay Rattman
- Counterpoint Vocal Quartet, featuring Mary Bonhag, Erin Grainger, Cameron Steinmetz, and Kevin Quigley, with Music Director Nathaniel Lew.
All concerts are in the College Hall Chapel.
- Tuesday, Feb. 6, 8 p.m.: Anna’s Ghost
- Wednesday, Feb. 7, 8 p.m.: Anna’s Ghost and the Piano Trio
- Thursday, Feb. 8, 8 p.m.: the Piano Trio and the Saxophone Quartet
- Friday, Feb. 9, 3 p.m.: the Saxophone Quartet and Counterpoint Quartet
- Saturday, Feb. 10, 3 p.m.: Counterpoint Quartet
Film Music Festival
Sunday, Feb. 4, 8 p.m., Noble Lounge
In film, music is often the secret partner in story-telling, embodying the internal states of the characters in the narrative. This event will feature a variety of approaches to the marriage of music to picture, as offered by VCFA faculty and students—from ethnic and folkloric forms, to non-tonal chamber textures, to jazz-influenced underscore. A short discussion with the composers will precede the screening of each excerpt.
Electronic Music Showcase
Monday, Feb. 5, 8 p.m.: Alumnx Hall
An evening of electronic sound and multimedia; VCFA students and faculty perform new work for instruments with live electronic sound and video.
Friday, Feb. 9, 8 p.m., College Hall Gallery
Friday evening, we’ll partner with Café Anna (cash bar) to host the Songwriting Showcase, highlighting the diverse songwriting and performing talents of the students, alumnx, and faculty of VCFA’s MFA in Music Composition.