VCFA hosts four different ensembles this February, premiering music written by our MFA in Music Composition students that reflects a widely versatile cross-section of approaches. The ensembles are:
- Spektral string quartet, featuring Clara Lyon, violin; Maeve Feinberg, violin; Doyle Armbrust, viola; and Russ Rolen, cello.
- The City of Tomorrow wind quintet, featuring Elise Blatchford, flute; Rane Moore, clarinets; Stuart Breszinski, oboe and English horn; Nanci Belmont, bassoon; and Leander Starr,French horn.
- Talujon Percussion trio, featuring Matt Ward, Michael Lipsey, and Bill Solomon.
- Crossover Quintet featuring River Guerguerian, percussion; Gregor Huebner, violin; Pat Swoboda, bass; John Benthal, guitars; Anna Webber, flute.
All concerts will be held in the College Hall Chapel and will be streamed live at vcfa.edu/livestream.
- Tuesday, Feb. 7, 8 p.m.: Talujon Percussion trio
- Wednesday, Feb. 8, 8 p.m.: Talujon Percussion trio and Crossover Quintet
- Thursday, Feb. 9, 8 p.m.: Crossover Quintet and The City of Tomorrow wind quintet
- Friday, Feb. 10, 3 p.m.: The City of Tomorrow wind quintet and Spektral string quartet
- Saturday, Feb. 11, 2 p.m.: Spektral string quartet
Film Music Festival
Sunday, Feb. 5, 8 p.m., Noble Lounge
In film, music is often the secret partner in story-telling, embodying the internal states of the characters in the narrative. This event will feature a variety of approaches to the marriage of music to picture, as offered by VCFA faculty and students—from ethnic and folkloric forms, to non-tonal chamber textures, to jazz-influenced underscore. A short discussion with the composers will precede the screening of each excerpt.
Electronic Music Showcase
Monday, Feb. 6, 8 p.m.: VCFA Gallery, Alumnx Hall (Streamed live at vcfa.edu/livestream.)
An evening of electronic sound and multimedia; VCFA students and faculty perform new work for instruments with live electronic sound and video.
Friday, Feb. 10, 8 p.m., College Hall Gallery (Streamed live at vcfa.edu/livestream.)
Friday evening, we’ll partner with Café Anna (cash bar) to host the Songwriting Showcase, highlighting the diverse songwriting and performing talents of the students and faculty of VCFA’s MFA in Music Composition.
We hope to see you there!