Multiple concerts and events featuring music written by VCFA students and performed by world-class musicians fill the week. All events are open—and free of charge—to the public.
VCFA hosts four different ensembles this August, premiering music written by our MFA in Music Composition students that reflects a widely versatile cross-section of approaches. The ensembles are:
- A String Quartet, featuring Jennifer Choi, violin; Mary Rowell, violin; Jessica Meyer, viola; Ashley Bathgate, cello.
- A Crossover Quintet featuring Ken Thomson, saxophone and clarinet; David Cossin, percussion; Gregg August, bass; Red Wierenga, piano; and Russ Johnson, trumpet.
- Chatham Baroque, featuring Andrew Fouts, Baroque violin; Patty Halverson, viola da gamba; and Scott Pauley, theorbo, lute, and Baroque guitar.
- A vocal quartet, featuring Elizabeth Bates, soprano; Kirsten Sollek, alto; Eric Dudley, tenor; and Steven Hrycelak, bass.
All concerts will be held in the College Hall Chapel and will be streamed live at vcfa.edu/livestream.
- Wednesday, Aug. 3, 8 p.m.: String Quartet
- Thursday, Aug. 4, 8 p.m.: String Quartet and Crossover Quintet
- Friday, Aug. 5, 8 p.m.: Crossover Quintet
- Saturday, Aug. 6, 3 p.m.: Chatham Baroque
- Sunday, Aug. 7, 3 p.m.: Vocal Quartet
Film Music Festival
Monday, Aug. 1, 8 p.m., Noble Lounge
In film, music is often the secret partner in story-telling, embodying the internal states of the characters in the narrative. This event will feature a variety of approaches to the marriage of music to picture, as offered by VCFA faculty and students—from ethnic and folkloric forms, to non-tonal chamber textures, to jazz-influenced underscore. A short discussion with the composers will precede the screening of each excerpt.
Electronic Music Showcase
Tuesday, Aug. 2, 8 p.m., Alumnx Hall
An evening of electronic sound and multimedia; VCFA students and faculty perform new work for instruments with live electronic sound and video.
Saturday, Aug. 6, 8 p.m., College Hall Gallery
Saturday evening, we’ll turn the Gallery into the VCFA Pub (cash bar) to host the Songwriting Showcase, highlighting the diverse songwriting and performing talents of the students and faculty of VCFA’s MFA in Music Composition.
We hope to see you there!