VCFA hosts three different ensembles this February, premiering music written by our MFA in Music Composition students that reflects a widely versatile cross-section of approaches. The ensembles are:
- a Brass Quintet, featuring Michael Gurfield, trumpet; Matt Mead, trumpet; Matt Marks, French horn; John Altieri, tuba; Daniel Linden, trombone.
- A Piano Trio, featuring Stephen Gosling, piano; Jennifer Choi, violin; Yves Dharamraj, cello.
- The Electro-Global Sextet, featuring Brian Adler, tabla and augmented drum set; Taylor Levine, electric and acoustic guitars (and saz, bazouki, mandolin, ukulele, cavaquinho); Kaoru Watanabe, Japanese and Western flutes, taiko drums; Gregg August, electric and acoustic bass; Kamala Sankaram, soprano; Jesse Stiles, laptop.
All concerts are in the College Hall Chapel.
- Tuesday, Feb. 9, 8 p.m.: Brass Quintet
- Wednesday, Feb. 10, 8 p.m.: Brass Quintet and Piano Trio
- Thursday, Feb. 11, 8 p.m.: Piano Trio
- Friday, Feb. 12, 3 p.m.: Piano Trio and Electro-Global Sextet
- Saturday, Feb. 13, 3 p.m.: Electro-Global Sextet
Film Music Festival
- Sunday, Feb. 7, 8 p.m., Noble Lounge
In film, music is often the secret partner in story-telling, embodying the internal states of the characters in the narrative. This event will feature a variety of approaches to the marriage of music to picture, as offered by VCFA faculty and students—from ethnic and folkloric forms, to non-tonal chamber textures, to jazz-influenced underscore. A short discussion with the composers will precede the screening of each excerpt.
Electronic Music Showcase
- Monday, Feb. 8, 8 p.m.: VCFA Gallery, College Hall
An evening of electronic sound and multimedia; VCFA students and faculty perform new work for instruments with live electronic sound and video.
- Friday, Feb. 12, 8 p.m., College Hall Gallery
Friday evening, we’ll turn the Gallery into the VCFA Pub (cash bar) to host the Songwriting Showcase, highlighting the diverse songwriting and performing talents of the students and faculty of VCFA’s MFA in Music Composition.