Young Writers Network
The VCFA Young Writers Network connects our passionate alumni community to the children least likely to meet and learn from professional authors.
We’re helping raise a diverse next generation of writers through a mentoring network that inspires young writers to:
- Discover their voices
- Develop their craft
- Explore future careers in writing
Excellent Writing Instruction for Underserved Kids
We work with existing nonprofits in communities where VCFA authors live, connecting our talented authors with youth populations underserved by existing creative writing resources and underrepresented in children’s literature as a whole.
We are currently focused in the northern New England states—Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Massachusetts—where we offer intensive school- and community-based residencies in collaboration with our nonprofit partners. These programs (available for grades K-12) offer children an opportunity to explore their own stories through engaging, authentic activities that increase their confidence, motivation, and skill as writers.
Our goal is to use VCFA’s powerful alumni network to create broader, more equitable access to writing instruction for kids—and, over the long term, to foster a more diverse community of authors.
In the coming years, the VCFA Young Writers Network aims to:
- Build partnerships across New England, collaborating with nonprofits that share our mission of providing excellent programming for diverse young writers.
- Provide engaging, in-depth creative writing programs to hundreds of children each year.
Support and inspire our national network of alumni authors to provide quality writing instruction to underserved children in their own regions.
- Launch a creative writing camp for diverse teens who are serious about the craft.
- Engage over 1,000 young writers every year with programs that inspire, build skills, and provide a network of support for aspiring writers.
GIVE NOW to support our young writers this year!
In 2017-18, we worked with over 650 young writers through our in-school and out-of-school programs.
Read our 2018 Annual Report.
Visit our website below to learn more about our authors and programs.