People & Teams
Meet the people and teams behind VCFA's ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion work.
Director of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
DEI ACTION GROUP
The DEI Action Group works closely with the Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and is tasked with executing action items that arise from the larger DEI committee. This group also supports and collaborates with the Director of DEI on initiatives, planning, and assessment.
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee comprises staff, students, faculty, trustees, and alumnx and welcomes members from all programs and departments of the institution. The DEI Committee plays a crucial role in ensuring that VCFA holds true to the commitments it has made: as an institution, to actively focus resources on outreach, expansion, and development; as a community, to fully commit to fostering the artistic, intellectual, individual, and social identities, contributions, and development of every one of our members.
Having played a central role in developing VCFA’s Statement on Community Values, the DEI Committee remains focused on efforts to implement the statement in all aspects of the college’s work.
Steering Committee for Community Conversations
The Steering Committee for Community Conversations organizes and executes learning experiences designed to nurture a sense of community among all VCFA staff and provide continued growth and development. The committee facilitates cross-departmental dialogue through a range of topics focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion, providing accessible learning opportunities to create inclusive and equitable working and learning environments.
DEI Coalition, MFA in WCYA
The WCYA DEI Coalition is a student-led volunteer initiative advocating for diversity, equity, and inclusion within the Writing for Children & Young Adults MFA program and VCFA at large. The DEI Coalition welcomes students, alumnx, and faculty who are invested in meaningful DEI initiatives on behalf of students, prospective students, and more.
What the DEI Coalition does:
- Advocates for more scholarship opportunities for students from marginalized backgrounds
- Increases accessibility during virtual and on-campus residencies through audio transcriptions, communication opportunities for marginalized groups, and more
- Facilitates discussions around DEI topics as readers and writers of stories for children
- Surveys students to see how the college can better serve marginalized groups on campus and prospective students from marginalized backgrounds
- Increases transparency within the program and school