VCFA History

For the last 175 years, Vermont College has served as a pillar institution in Vermont, serving thousands of students from across the country.

From its beginnings as Montpelier Seminary to its illustrious history as Vermont Junior College and Vermont College, the institution has provided opportunities for students of all disciplines to pursue their educational goals. Vermont College officially opened its doors as Newbury Seminary in Newbury, Vermont, in 1834.

Since 1868, Vermont College has been located on a 31-acre campus in Montpelier at the intersection of East State Street and College Street. The striking campus, patterned with brick buildings and centered by a scenic college green, was previously the site of a Civil War hospital.

In June 2008, Vermont College of Fine Arts (VCFA) bought the historic Vermont College campus and three MFA programs from Union Institute & University, which had owned the campus since 2001.

HISTORY OF VERMONT COLLEGE

  • 1834 Newbury Seminary
  • 1841 Newbury Theological Institute
  • 1846 Springfield Wesleyan Seminary
  • 1865 Vermont Conference Seminary
  • 1870 Vermont Methodist Seminary
  • 1894 Montpelier Seminary
  • 1941 Vermont Junior College
  • 1958 Vermont College
  • 1972 Vermont College of Norwich University
  • 2001 Vermont College of Union Institute & University
  • 2008 Vermont College of Fine Arts
  • 2009 175th Anniversary of Vermont College

Contact:

Ann Cardinal

Coordinator of Alumni Relations
Phone: 802-828-8589
Email: Ann.Cardinal@vcfa.edu

Alissa Auerbach

Director of Development
Phone: 802-828-8555
Email: Alissa.Auerbach@vcfa.edu

For general inquiries regarding donations and development, please email development@vcfa.edu.


VCFA History

Creating a College: The Story of the Vermont College of Fine Arts - Montpelier Bridge