Welcome! This evolving resource is intended to serve as a common space for VCFA students, faculty, staff, alumni and future students to explore this important subject. We invite your suggestions and contributions to enhance the ongoing dialogue at VCFA and to enrich this page as a relevant hub.
Mission and Goals of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee at VCFA
In the interest of supporting our college mission of “advancing the arts to create a more humane world” and fostering our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we have adopted the operational definition of Inclusive Excellence from the AAC&U, which outlines four necessary elements.
- We nurture the artistic, intellectual, individual, and social development of all members of our community.
- We develop and apply organizational resources to enhance teaching and learning by fostering an environment that challenges each of us to strive for the highest artistic and academic standards and asks each member of our community to contribute freely to learning and knowledge development.
- We honor the cultural and aesthetic differences that our students, faculty, alumni, and staff bring to the educational experience and that enhance the educational community.
- We welcome all who value diversity and inclusion in teaching and learning for the benefit of each individual and the educational community as a whole.
Informed and inspired by the publication Toward a Model of Inclusive Excellence and Change in Postsecondary Institutions by Damon A. Williams, Joseph B. Berger, and Shederick A. McClendon, published by the American Association of Colleges & Universities, 2005. https://www.aacu.org/sites/default/files/files/mei/williams_et_al.pdf
Articles of Interest
VCFA Diversity Committee 2015-16
- Jenn Renko, GD Director
- Ann Cardinal, Student Recruitment Director
- Matthew Monk, Academic Dean (Committee oversight, reporting to President Tom Greene)
- An Na, WCYA Faculty
- Tasheka Arceneaux-Sutton, GD Faculty
- Rick Baitz, MC Faculty
- Mario Ontiveros, VA Faculty
- Liz Patton, MAT Faculty
- Rigoberto Gonzalez, W Faculty
- Marni Leikin, MAT Director
- Trinie Dalton, Writing Faculty
- Martin Castaneda, Film Student
- Andrea Beltran, Writing Student
- Aldrena Corder, Graphic Design Student
- Sharon Trautwein, Assistant Director, Film Admissions
- Vermont State Governor’s Workforce Equity & Diversity Council
- Vermont Partnership for Fairness and Diversity
- Civil Rights Project/Proyecto Derechos Civiles
- Diversity, Equity, & Inclusive Excellence
- AIGA Women Lead Gender Equity Toolkit